April 30, 2011 Swansboro Historical Association's Homes Tour

Follow the links below to learn more about the homes that were included on this year's tour. 


This was one of the last Swansboro houses built by master local carpenter Robert Lee Smith. His daughter Amelia and her husband, local charter boat captain Everett Canady, raised their family here during the Depression and World War II. Amelia often sat on the porch, even well into her late nineties. The cottage has been remodeled, adding a garage and rear addition. However, original room dimensions and much interior woodwork remain intact. 

Beaufort House circa 1851 105 Water Street
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES - Hall-parlor plan coastal cottage with later one-story side kitchen and dining room, porch ventilation chutes in main house porch ceiling, stair rising in read shed room, some original interior fabric but mostly from late 19th century. Beaufort captain Thomas Thomas bought the lot in 1851 and sold it a year later with a house on it. Local tradition asserts that the house was moved from Beaufort, NC.

When visiting this home, try to imagine that originally, the back view and vista swept all the way to the White Oak River. The construction of Highway 24, during the 1930s, bisected the backyard. The present owner has lovingly maintained the historic character of this home and filled it with many interesting historic artifacts.  

206 Elm Street
A Swansboro merchant and one-time mayor built this home. According to the 1910 census, Pittman resided here with his wife Callie Bloodgood, and their two daughters, ages eight and one. This a three-bay I-house with a two-room plan. The home includes a decorative front porch and originally included a semi-detached one-story kitchen. 

208 Elm Street
Basil Hawkins probably built the house; his heir, Catherine Hawkins, owned it in 1850. Andrew Jackson Murrill bought the house in 1860 and sold it to Methodist minister John F. Mattocks in 1863. Apparently during Murrill’s ownership the house was rented out, for during one of several Union raids of Swansboro during the Civil War, William Harden Jones, a Confederate dispatcher on furlough visiting his parents, was captured in the upstairs east bedroom by Union troops. This is a three-bay double pile center-hall house plan with a two-tier front porch. The two-story rear addition was most likely added during remodeling in the early 1900s.  

211 Elm Street
Charles R. Webb constructed this home; it originally contained a wrap-around porch--the east side of which was taken off by Hurricane Hazel. Local musician and artist Jack Ketner restored this historic home, doing most of the carpentry work himself. Various additions to the house are made obvious by the flooring. The original back porch is now a bathroom, and what is now Jack and his wife Jenny’s sun room, overlooking Poorman’s Hole/Smokey Hollow on Water Street, was converted from a more recently added back porch. 



NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places - Side-hall plan house with one-story side addition, major modern alterations including new two-tier front porch, belvedere [structure added to take advantage of the view]. 


This two-story home is a gable-fronted, side-hall plan with a one-story front porch.  The home contains decorative chimney stacks. The 1920 census lists the owner as thirty-seven year old Bert A. Tolson with his wife Mildred and two children. The home was built by Robert Lee Smith who constructed many homes in the community during the lumber boom of the early 1900s.
__________________________________________
Other spots of interest were:
Ward Cemetery- Late 17th Century - 222 Walnut Street


NATIONAL REGISTER of Historic Places -The cemetery contains approximately 250 marked graves, some in brick and concrete-block walled family plots. It is planted with live oaks, junipers, magnolias and dogwoods. The cemetery has probably been used by townsfolk since the late eighteenth century.


W.E. Mattocks House circa 1901  
107 Front Street
In 1989 the Mattocks House was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Built for William Edward Mattocks by master carpenter Robert Lee Smith, the house was described in the nomination as a three-bay, double pile, center-hall plan Colonial Revival board-and-batten house on full a basement with decorative two-tier back porch and gable dormers. Built 1901-1910s. (NR--Pezzoni) Although the Swansboro Historic District is included on the National Register, the Mattocks house is the only house listed individually. On the waterfront, the Mattocks House is new home of Tidewater Gallery - a must see!